Air Quality Construction and Contractors Facts


Information contained in this fact sheet addresses questions regarding construction projects within the exterior boundaries of the Colville Indian Reservation concerning air quality, burning, fugitive particulate matter (i.e., dust), and waste disposal.

EPA regulates air quality on the Reservation under a federal implementation plan commonly referred to as the Federal Air Rules for Reservation (FARR). The FARR limits how contractors and others may dispose of excess material from projects and building sites as related to air quality.


What cannot be burned:

  • Construction debris or demolition waste
  • Paint, tar, tar paper, and petroleum products
  • Treated lumber or timbers
  • Asphalt or composition roofing
  • Insulated wire, batteries and light bulbs
  • Asbestos or asbestos containing material
  • Tire, rubber products, plastics or Styrofoam
  • Garbage
  • Dead Animals
  • Junked vehicles or salvage materials
  • Paper, paper products or cardboard not generated by a residence
  • Hazardous waste or pathogenic waste
  • Any material that emits dense or noxious fumes

Contractors may be able to burn natural vegetative material that is clean and dry. It is recommended that all materials be kept dry by using protective covering or storage containers. No outside burning is allowed between May 1 and late Fall due to fire safety concerns.
Burn bans may be issued between October 1 to March 1 due to stagnated air masses. Stagnated air masses trap smoke at the ground level increasing health risks for people with health related issues.

A burn permit will be required if you plan on burning clean vegetative materials. Contact the Environmental Trust Air Quality Program for permits and the burn ban status.
Fires cannot smolder after the majority of the volume has been consumed. Smoldering fire releases large amounts of particulate matter (PM) close to the ground that can affect people with health problems.

Options for disposing of waste other than burning:
Solid waste generated from construction sites that is prohibited from burning needs to be disposed of properly at an approved landfill or recycling facility. Disposal sites do not include tribally operated transfer stations. The contractor should consider these cost in the price estimate developed for the job. If material cannot be burned it is considered solid waste and is regulated under tribal code 4-13.

Land use and building permits are required before the start of any construction project. The permit must contain information on solid waste types, amounts and include a disposal site. Receipts for waste disposal must be turned into the Planning Department after the project is completed.
The Tribes illegal dump program aggressively pursues people who violate code 4-13-7. Dumping construction or demolition debris is illegal and violators will be prosecuted in tribal court resulting in high fines.

Fugitive PM ‘Dust’ Control:
The FARR also regulates fugitive particulate matter (PM) ‘dust’ from construction sites by the Rule of Limiting Fugitive Particulate Matter Emissions (40 CFR Part 49 Section 126). PM can be a mixture of solid particles and liquid droplets that are airborne. Fugitive PM is released into the air mechanically but does not include emissions from stacks, chimneys, pipes or vents. The rule requires construction or demolition projects, mate-rial handling or storage operations and any source that emits PM to prepare a site-specific written control plan; implement the plan; conduct a survey annually or if short-term yearly; and maintain records of actions under the plan.


Tribal Codes 4-13
Solid Waste 4-13-6 Disposal (b) All building contractors and any person as defined by section 4-13-2(k) are required by this Chapter to submit to the department for review and approval a Solid Waste Disposal Plan prior to commencement of work to dispose of work site waste materials through the department or at the nearest approved landfill. The department shall issue a notice of non-compliance to any building contractor who fails to submit the plan, and impose a fine of $100.00 per day for each day that the Solid Waste Disposal Plan is not submitted to the department.
(Amended 2/22/00, Resolution 1999-117)
(Amended 11/7/02, Resolution 2002-675)
(d) There shall be no open burning of solid waste on the Reservation.
The full version of the Tribal Code is available online at :


Colville Tribes Recycling Program will accept the following items from Contractors:

  • Unprocessed wood: trees, branches, bushes
  • Metals: copper, aluminum, steel
  • Cardboard
  • 1 & 2 plastics
  • Paper
  • Appliances & fixtures

The following Items will not be accepted:

  • Hazardous materials that contain or that have been contaminated by lead, asbestos, that is toxic or radioactive
  • Processed wood for example: stairs, porches, flooring, siding, chemically treated wood
  • Furniture/mattresses

Tribal Programs and Contacts
Kris Ray | Environmental Trust Air Quality Program | (509) 634-2418 |

 Planning Department | (509) 634-2570/2571 |

Public Works | (509) 634-2805 |

Danny Joe Stensgar | Solid Waste | (509) 634-2810 |

Joaquin Bustamante | Recycling Program | (509) 634-2416 |

Report Violations to Air Quality Program 509-634-2418
EPA FARR Hotline 1-800-424-4372
Tribal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (TOSHA) 509-634-2414
Illegal Dump Program 509-634-2572
Approved Landfill Sites Okanogan County Landfill, 241 B&O North Road, Okanogan, WA 98840 | Phone 509-422-2602 | Steven County Landfill, Kettle Falls, WA, Landfill Road off Highway 25 Department of Public Works Phone | Phone 509-684-4548 | Delano Landfill
22152 Alcan Rd. NE Grand Coulee, WA 99133 | Phone (509-633-0100
Graham Road Recycling and Disposal 1820 S. Graham Road Medical Lake, WA 99022